1.17.2008

that paper

paper
i think it might be cursed. this is the fifth attempt at making something with it. and really, lets be honest, i didnt make anything. i cut a big rectangle and attached it to a clear vase with some double stick tape. done. have i ever told you that i love double stick tape? love it. ever since i worked at the paper source and wrapped presents "professionally". awesome. but a word of advice, always get permant not that semi-perminant crap. it will just make you swear. and the thinner the better i say, i always get scotch 1/4 inch. i have rolls of it scattered around the house. it drives everyone crazy because if i see it in little hands i freak out and try to say as calmly as possible, "that is mommy's special tape, here use this {dumb single sided} tape". maybe i should put them away... i certainly did not mean to digress on tape. but back to the curse, i keep trying all these simple, "fast" projects and they just keep backfiring on me. i think because i barely even pause to use my brain, much less apply any sense of quality. and there my friends is the rub. quality. it always boils down to quality. because the better the quality, the better the item. it doesnt mean money, it means care. i need to take more care with my projects and slow down. way down. which is so hard. i know it. if i want any sort of sleep at night, i have to cram my crafting into the two hour window after 8:30. so things take more than one night to finish. ok. i can handle that. because i would rather like it than trash it. maybe i should clarify that this lecture is to me. thanks for listening.

14 Comments:

Blogger charlotte said...

oh but can that lecture be to me as well? many good things contained therein.

1:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

seriously, I don't think you are alone in this. I am notorious for slapping stuff together quickly instead of taking care and finishing it right.

And I love that tape! I get kind of crazy like that over my graphite pencils.

2:11 PM  
Blogger lisa solomon said...

i know exactly how you feel... about quality and double sided tape!

hugs.
i love your QUICK project!

2:40 PM  
Blogger wendy said...

oh I love this!!
and your little lecture.
think of what you could do with a little bit of time, or rather to take a bit of time.

3:00 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

this is sooo ME too! i'm the queen of slapping something together... just to get it done. thanks for the lecture. i definitely needed to hear it!

3:16 PM  
Blogger tickledpink.nicole said...

Gorgeous! I think it would also look lovely wrapped the same way around a candle holder.

4:35 PM  
Blogger house on hill road said...

i guess i need double stick tape now, don't i?

5:59 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

hannah. i think we've all given ourselves this lecture at some point. i couldn't agree more, but there is certainly something to be said for instant (or quick) gratification. and i am certainly gratified by your quick project.

7:24 PM  
Blogger Mama Urchin said...

I have trouble with the multi-night thing too. Although right now it means I'm not starting anything but instead lying on the couch watching American Idol.

6:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that an old-timey radio your vase is perched upon? It looks so similar to one we have.

6:50 PM  
Blogger combhoney said...

i have some paper like that too and i cannot figure out what in the world to really do with it. but it's amazing!

10:16 PM  
Blogger Sarah Y said...

It's so hard for me to sustain focus from one day to the next. So if I don't get a project done in the window I have right now I probably won't finish.

That means I, too, slap shit together.

2:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This lecture was definitely meant for me, as well! I don't think I'm a terribly impatient person in general, but I tend to get impatient with projects, for some reason.

5:57 PM  
Blogger Blair said...

oh this is so good, and so true. My goodness, doesn't dbl stick hide a multitude of sins? I am doing those quickie projects these days out of a need to create, but mine too can backfire if I get too slap-happy. Its a slippery slope. But that vase is quick AND good. xo

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home