11.12.2007

the little things

film.136
i have been complaining to david all weekend how i had to do work at work last week. my project manager has been working in the lab, leaving me little time to waste. ah well. only fair right? i sent along the lists to my mother-in-law and i am told she quite liked them! yay! now i can focus some time on actual making of things. i like the making, but i really like the packaging. you know. the papers, the strings, ribbons, tags, all that fun stuff. i need to get on the ball and order some things like those clear folding plastic sleeves and those nice glassine (?) paper sleeves that are good for photographs. do you all have a favorite place for your packing goods? i have been meaning to snoop out a little cake decorating store i saw months ago driving around a part of town i dont get to very often. i thought they might have some fun goodies. i would really like to get some of those white or brown folding paper boxes that sally uses. speaking of sally, she is the undisputed packaging queen in my book. love her.

oh and real quick. i shot a roll of agfa 100 film i got from my fall photo swap partner (thanks meaghan!) and i am in love. i mean just pretty much blew it all at the park one day. so much fun. got some great shots, and a strong contender for our christmas card. the photo above was one of the last few frames. i was leaving work on my long day (bleh) and i came out the back door to see this sky. i dropped everything, grabbed my camera and shot two frames (here is the other one). ah. i love it when that happens. when i see something great and have my camera with me. awesomeness.

10 Comments:

Blogger the4carrells said...

Gorgeous, Hannah. I'm jealous that you manage to always have your camera with you. Also, I'm probably the last to know this, but I just found out you can print your blog to a book. What a great keepsake that would be for your kids. (I'm in the middle of making my yearly photo books for my grandmothers, so I've got books on the brain.) http://www.blurb.com/create/book/blogbook

6:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great sunset. I have no advice for you on wrapping packages. I'm more in the cardboard and duct tape vein.

7:40 AM  
Blogger katiemade said...

hi, my name is katie. you don't know who i am, but i'm from kansas city and i think your blog is pretty darn cute. anyways, speaking of packaging, there is a tiny cake and decorating store in old lenexa off of quivera just north of 95th... maybe its 93rd or something? its basically the next large intersection. the store is in a strip of older buildings a little ways down the road. theres a bead store in that strip too. i wish i could remember the name. anyways, they have all sorts of candy and baked goods boxes that you can buy indiviually or in bulk as well as tons of cake decorations. i'm also partial to papersource on the plaza, though you can order online as well. i also really like www.jampaper.com, i've used this site to order tons of stuff for zines and art projects, and it always arrives at my door quickly and nothing is really too expensive.
hope that helps.
fun from a blog lurking reader.
-katie

8:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi. I'm going to steal katie's line : I'm allison. you don't know who i am but I also think your blog is pretty darn cute. I, however, live in seattle and we have the greatest packaging store ever called Packaging Specialties. It has everything you said you wanted and so much more. I think you can order a lot of it online. Here's their website: http://ps-stores.com/.

Have fun! I also think the packaging is the best part.

allison

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's also a place called the Sweet Shop over around 95th and Antioch (somewhere near there...I think). I got white boxes there for Christmas cookies last year. I think I spent as much time packing up cookies as I did baking them. But it's fun!

1:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you been to the Xpedx store in KC? It's in the Crossroads, at 19th and Grand. They have tons of kinds of packaging- little folding boxes, cardboard boxes, plastic sleeves, all kinds of envelopes and paper and tags. It's worth perusing!

4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm in love with your sunset photo. i have to confess that i've been afraid to try my film camera. i loaded it weeks ago. maybe months. and it's sitting here next to me. but i'm nervous about taking pictures and not being able to see them and being limited to 24 on the roll and waiting for them to be processed. crazy, i know. but i keep on being inspired by your film photos. so soon, maybe.

6:25 PM  
Blogger lisa solomon said...

i just nodded and nodded to this post
[and if i forget remind me to talk offset printing...]

9:29 PM  
Blogger cat collier martinez said...

whatabout martha stewart's line at michael's, there might be something there, that is, if you've got a michael's in kc. best of box luck:)

10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh hannah-
you too
are awesomeness
obv.

this photo is stunning.

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home