10.18.2006

it was too much

we are all passing around congestion and a wicked cough. the dry tickle one that sneaks up on you. you know? when you cough for five minutes straight and your head is pounding and you feel all hot and sweaty when you are done? yeah, that one. but i am not complaining because the last time i had that cough i was seven months pregnant and it was torture. we are taking it easy around here except for this little one.
eight months already??
eight months old and kickin' it. and though it isnt visible to the naked eye, tooth number one has made its appearance. mama can feel it...

on a sewing note. first i feel a little sheepish after davids comment last post. thanks hon. second, i have been wanting to make a smock type top for collette with the superbuzzy fabric i got to go over jeans. i dont have a pattern and have been kicking around the idea of just making it up. is this smart? any pointers or obvious things that i am not thinking of? i keep having visions of pleats on the front but i dont know how to make pleats. do i do fold them in first and then cut out the shape of the top? i feel like if i do it after it will shrink up the top. that doesnt make much sense probably except in my head. ok, i am entering another coughing fit. later people.

17 Comments:

Blogger Molly said...

Oh my gosh, those chubby cheeks are killing me. Happy 8 months, Arlo!

And Hannah, you feel better soon, you hear?

10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope your family feels better soon. Love seeing sweet little Arlo!

11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh that face!!!
sorry no help on the smock front - will be listening to any advice you get on pleats myself! feel better...

1:00 PM  
Blogger Heidijayhawk said...

hope you feel better soon hannah! that girl gets cuter with with each post! its like saving a sinking ship when five of you have the same cold! hope you only hav eone go 'round!

1:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You coughers feel better. ok?

Sweet Arlo! You're getting so big!

1:42 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Okay, Arlo is adorable. Hope your cough gets better. I think my last cough was when I was pregnant too. I coughed so hard that my water broke two weeks early!

2:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you are feeling better!

I have done some english smocking - the kind you see on the little dresses. These are pleated using a machine and often the pleated part is done seperately and then seamed to the rest of the garment with some small piping in between. Then the pleats are embroidered to make the design. I am not sure about the other kind of smocking, but I just bought a Japanese craft book that has something like that in it. If you are interested, I will give it a look and see if I can make any sense out of it.

2:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah dude, mom and margot have been hacking away for a good week or so....ugh.

2:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that gummy grin -- so cute!

I hope you all feel better soon. I, too, had one of those 7-months pregnant horrible coughs. I seriously thought I was going to hurt the baby.

I've been kicking around the idea of making up a smock pattern (one that criss-crosses in the back and buttons at the shoulder), but I'm scared. Maybe try with some muslin first?

8:28 PM  
Blogger bugheart said...

what an
adorable
photo!
hope you all
feel better
soon!

9:25 AM  
Blogger molly | mommycoddle.com said...

i know that cough. just got rid of it last week. i can't imagine it at seven months pregnant.
I am no help on the pleats, but I'm thinking of using the easy-peasy pillowcase dress idea, but shortening it to be a little smock top to go over long sleeve tees for the girls....

12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hannah! I have some great wee smock patterns-but making one up is super easy too-call me, or write and I will set you up-

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, what amy says-- we can hook you up.

(ps. hellloooo from missouri! i feel like i'm on the other side of the world. i'm wish'n we could've fit in a visit.)

3:07 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

if you'd like something pleated (if you go the "smocking" route), I would be glad to pleat something for you, and I'm here in KCK....

8:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is the sweetest picture I have seen in a very long time, no joke. That babe! Hope you all feel healthier soon. If you're like me, you feel the craftiest when you can't make anything.

8:56 AM  
Blogger Leslie said...

Sweet munchikin. . . oh, she is sweet! :) And the first tooth is always special, no?

And hope you get better soon. Tickly coughs are not fun. At all! Glad the little pumpkin was able to avoid it!

11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

she is SOOOOOO CUTE!!! i cant even bear to look at that photo!! hehehe.

ps, tu espanol es excellente!! :)) bravo!!

:)

11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home