10.13.2006

regalos

it has been a slow week over here at huffmania. we too are trying to dodge the sniffles. i have been going to bed early this week to be nice to myself and my throat that is currently coated in sand paper. blex. i enjoyed reading your thoughts on money, and thanks stephanie and tracy for the book recommendation, i am going to get on that. also does anyone have a good source for adopting a family for christmas? this is the route i want to go this year. maybe one or two little things for the huffsters and done. if you havent read this simplify the holidays at newdream you should. it just feels good. and i think giving should feel good too, never forced. ok, i am getting off my soap box now. speaking of giving, here is a little peek of a baby gift that is going out in the mail today.
peek
while i love this pompom fringe, i think i am going to have to pass it by next time. i spent way too much time (read sewed three times) making sure none of the tape was showing through. i wish i would have taken a picture of myself in the basement last night. i was still feeling pretty crummy and i was freezing so i had on a hat and an old wool sweater and was shuffling around in my slippers. i felt like some crazy craft bag lady. good times. once my body can go without a few extra hours of sleep i have a pile of washed flannels to make some pj pants for the girls. keeping the fingers crossed.

more on gifts, i am a lucky, lucky ducky. a few weeks ago allison emailed me saying she had an extra one of these tshirts that might fit me and it was mine if i wanted it. um yes! i havent had a chance to take a pic, but i have been wearing it like crazy. thank you so much allison! and then this goodness from julie arrived yesterday.
from julie!!
so yeah, pretty much i emailed her and begged for some of her cards. lucky me she threw in a beautiful pencil bag and a piece of that amazing japanese fabric. wow. thank you julie, i love the cards and yes, i am pro monogram!

in an effort to beat the funk in our house, david and i are sneaking away tonight to see the science of sleep and perhaps get a cup of coffee. a birthday party and pie with a dear friend is on the docket for saturday and exhibition basketball game at ku on sunday. oh yes, we love our hawks here. wow, i just realized how packed our weekend is. time to drink more tea to tame the sandpaper.

16 Comments:

Blogger molly | mommycoddle.com said...

sandpaper throat...that was me last week. and yes, I think tea does the trick for a temporary fix...sleepytime tea being my favorite, with a little honey, of course.
I love that baby gift with bobbles. I can only imagine the pain in sewing after trying to sew ricrac and have only the top of the ricrac peeking out of the fabric.
(and gorgeous papers!)

11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

question. no...observation. i haven't read a lot of craft blogs, but i notice that if something's difficult (like pom pom fringe) or doesn't work right the first time, i notice people saying 'i'll skip it next time' or 'i totally screwed it up. oh well.' i know that when i'm creating (writing songs or stories or screenplays) it's all hard, and i screw up and rework over and over again until it's right.

you crafters need to take it easy on yourselves. you don't have to get it right the first time. and often the more difficult the task, the more rewarding it is when you succeed. don't skip it just because it's hard.

i really sound like a father of 3.

this is more blog comment than i've posted year-to-date.

11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh you give good. lot the adopt a family idea. let me know what you find out. (our church works with a foster home and i had the big bug chose a gift for a girl her age there last year and it was all quite moving for both of us...) oh - and david is right!!!

11:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, David...

Anyway, I hope you're feeling better soon. Don't overdo it this weekend.

I second (or third?) the reading material that Stephanie suggested about money- excellent.

Oh, and cute t-shirt!

I think I'm done now.

11:51 AM  
Blogger Heidijayhawk said...

love the blanket...the animals are great. whne you are a family of five, keeping the snffles from rampaging through the whole lot is a task. hope al the huffsters feel better!

11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope the movie is good! We may go see that next week (a rare date night). I really want to see "Marie Antoinette," but I don't think it will be out in KC next weekend...

I've debated about buying that T for a while -- so cute!

I hope the throat scratchies go away soon!

2:21 PM  
Blogger bet(h) said...

i'm impressed, david. you're usually the one-line commenter. :) good words, though. i say, amen.

3:08 PM  
Blogger stephanie said...

david, can i call you when i need a pep talk?

hannah, i love the colors and the pom-pon on your gift. thank you for what you said about giving. i had wanted to say that giving is about loving-kindness, not fear, but i figured you knew that. and you did.

and to both of you, we're going to sufjan tonight and i so wish tou guys could come with. feel better and have a great weekend.

3:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

feel better. i'm picking up the phone to call you. right. now.

David? We are all masochists in craft. Didn't you know? Okay. I'll just speak for myself...

4:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go KU!

5:24 PM  
Blogger Leslie said...

Go David! =)

I too love the pom pom, but have spent too much time wrestling with it!

Anyway, love the happy mail! And hope the sand paper has gone. . .

10:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hannah - don't skip on the pom-pon fringe next time. The answer is to use the zipper foot - it works like a charm! Let me know if it works for you.

2:39 PM  
Blogger julieree said...

hey! how weird to see my stuff on somebody else's blog! hee hee. I'm glad you like the stuff, it was such fun putting it together. If I had a cool name like hannah, I think I'd be pro-monogram too.

love the pom-poms. and hey new banner--awesome!

8:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hope you are feeling better.
um..i am laughing so hard right now at the thought of a crafty bag lady-i have sooo felt that way in my freezing house!!

10:32 AM  
Blogger bugheart said...

great point
about
simplifying
your holiday...
my family
has instituted
"performance
christmas"
where our present
to everyone
is a performance.
this would of
course
be difficult
with children
but right
now we only
have babies.
:)

9:30 AM  
Blogger happylaney said...

I'm not sure I can look at your blog anymore, now knowing that you are a jayhawk fan.

7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home