10.02.2006

friend

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.0.1) - Cite This Source friend[frend] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
A Noun
1. a person attached to another by feeling of affection or personal regard.
2. a person who gives assistance; patron, supporter.
3. a person who is on good terms with another; a person who is not hostile.
4. a member of the same nation, party, etc.

ah flowers
i have been thinking about friends quite a bit lately. there is so much possibility and room in that word. i have reached a point in my life where i am surrounded by an amazing group of people. i know this was not always the case, and i dont think it will always be smooth sailing, but when i stop and think about the people i associate with on a daily basis i can only think of myself as very lucky. i have friends who love my children and even ask if they can watch them. what? how did that happen? i am immensely grateful for all the kindness, humor, intelligence and help that comes from them.

as a child, i loved the idea of pen pals. exchanging letters with a little girl, who might be just like me, from somewhere else. now blogging fills this nitch and then some. the wellspring of creativity, generosity and support just blows my mind. a few weeks ago, i had the opportunity to meet some women in portland. i think the best way to describe it would be it was easy. dont get me wrong, i was still a little nervous, but more than willing to have the experience. i like the way gwen said that even though we think we hide ourselves, so much of us comes through. blogging, or craft blogging maybe, is such a unique community.
blair talked about that awkwardness that comes with trying to describe a blog friend to someone who doesnt even know what a blog is. it does lead to some odd pauses or tangents in conversation. my friend melissa, who i met online. or my blog friend, melissa. blog? oh it is kinda like an online diary where we talk about making things. yeah, crafts. so back to my story about my friend melissa. ugh. i hate this exchange. lately i have just skipped it. my friend. it fits the definition, cuts out the confusion and just makes conversation flow.

davids career is such that at some point we will move our family away from kansas city and the community we have here. while this doesnt mean that i wont maintain friendships it does mean that my daily interactions will involve new people. this was always something very hard for me to think about or come to terms with. and wouldnt you know, the blogging community steps up yet again. i have learned that i can and will make friends no matter where i am. that it will be ok, and that is a good thing to know. if i were to dig deeper i would say that we are all much more alike than we might think. humanity maybe? i think this is what i need to take away from all of this. i want to try to be more open and friendly in general. to find a way to relate to just about anyone. i could get really sappy here and talk about world peace and all kinds of things, but i think you all know that line of thinking anyway. mostly i just know what i need to do, and that i cherish what i have now and look forward to what can be.

19 Comments:

Blogger Stacy said...

Just wanted to say that you made me smile when reading this. The conversation I have with family and friends isn't much different from what you've described, and it's frustrating. The blank stares one gets when describing a "blog friend" often imply that there's something negative in the bloggy community that I so enjoy. And, then when I mention that people send me gifts, and I return the favor - I get a reaction similar to what I'd expect if I told them I'd just befriended a hooker - And. then. I. made. her. a. purse!!

I found your site not long ago, as I was following the spiderweb of links from other blogs I read. I don't think I've ever commented before though. I was surprised to note, however, today that you are in my neck of the woods!! :) I'm in the Greater KC area also... so I felt inclined to leave you a "hello."

Stay cool today... I was really enjoying the open windows and am disappointed to see the heat return again. Sigh.

10:56 AM  
Blogger beki said...

Gosh, my husband and I were talking about this very subject this weekend. I was explaining how much more "complete" I feel since I've had a blog and made connections with people who have similar interests. I said I wish that we had more real life friends like that. I was complaining that I wished we lived somewhere where we could make "cool" friends, but then he corrected me. He said that there are people like us right where we are, but we need to be open to meeting them. So true. I've decided to be more open to meeting new people because you just never know who will make a presence in your life.

11:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lovely. and well said. not too sappy at all!

and do remember - whereever life takes you - you have a friend here!

11:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

friend. period.

when you reach the point in a relationship like this where it's not blog dependent... no conditions... then it's just friend. no other punctuation, just that.

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, people are often bewildered when I talk about blog friends. It has been really cool to find so many people out there with similar interests though.

I, too, have worried about a friendless vacuum should we have to move (there's a good chance my husband's career interests will take to California at some point). But I am really beginning to see that there are great people everywhere.

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love this post on friends. It echoes my own feelings regarding friends I've met via blogging. I'm hoping your family will relocate to Portland, we would have SO much fun!

12:08 PM  
Blogger molly | mommycoddle.com said...

I have to agree with this post wholeheartedly...I am amazed at the friends I have made through blogging--people with similar interests, mindsets, humor, passions, and that the friendships have come so easily and so naturally.
When i started shopping and saying to myself, "oh, so-and-so would love this!" I knew my blogging friends, were more than just online acquaintances.
However, my blogging friends also make me a little sad that I don't have any "come over for dinner tonight, or let's get the kids together to play"-kind of friends in my own home community. I know they're out there, and we haven't been here long...but I often find myself thinking, I wish I could meet someone like "hannah" here. you know? okay. enough rambling from me...passing hte microphone on to the next person.
but all lovely hannah, and wonderful things upon which to reflect!

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would love to meet you sometime before you leave KC, as I'm in Wichita, and there aren't many of us crafty/blogging people around here that I can seem to find!

In conversation, I've started to say, "my friend in Australia" or "my friend in Portand" because it seems to work better than "blog friend". Although my acquaintences must wonder how I've come to kno so many people from around the world!

12:50 PM  
Blogger cat collier martinez said...

almost exactly what i've been thinking and feeling, wondering and hoping. such wonderful thoughts you've expressed. i am so glad you have good friends both far and wide, close and near. you're a true dear, so simply sweet and humble. sincerely hannah you're a gem of friend.

1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is pretty cool. hannah's an all right gal.

2:19 PM  
Blogger Leslie said...

Hannah
Yes, friend is just right. No tangents, no "oh so you've never actually met. . . but she's your online friend?" and no confusion on anyone's part! :) Perfectly stated, amiga!

And wherever you end up, you know you have the support of friends both near and far. =)

4:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

isn't it amazing? for me, my concept of friendship has changed drastically in the past three years i have had a blog. i mean, now i say "friend" about people i have never met!! who would have ever said that before?? now we all do! and we are meeting people we never would have met. here's to friendship, hannah!

5:06 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

I loved this, Hannah.

And you know, just the other day I was talking to Brandon and said something about "my friend Hannah - you know, the one who lives in Kansas City?" Never mind that we haven't met; that's, ahem, you.

Pretty crazy and pretty beautiful, this blogging business. I couldn't be more grateful for everything and everyone it has brought to my life.

8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a lovely post, and it hits at my thoughts spot on. I love what Melissa said. Friend. period. So true. It feels unnecessary to add the "blogging" part because, to me, it puts it into a weird subcategory of friend. You guys are friends... real, supportive, and available. We think they a move to another city may be in our future someday, but I stay postive about the idea of leaving a place I've grown to love by thinking of the possibilities that brings. More friends. And, luckily, you can take us anywhere you go : ))

9:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hannah,

Your friends are lucky to have you in their lives!

I've just been saying friend too. (like this: my friend, Hannah) It's just much easier!

9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is why I wish you guys had come to the reunion. Then I could have met someone whose blog I read! It's even harder to not have a blog, and therefore no actual blogging friends, and try to talk about them. I'm like, "that girl whose blog I read that's married to that guy I went to school with...." and then my husband just looks at me funny!

10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! you couldn't be more correct. i've tried explaining the whole blog thing to my sister. she's more left brained then any mathmatician there is and she just couldn't grasp the idea of making friends through blogs. there is something so amazing about the endless possibility for making friends by blogging. i love it. who knew little old me in st. louie would have so much in common with a stay at home mom in portland or find so much inspiration from a sweet lady in kansas city that i've never even shaken hands with. i just keep coming back for more ideas and things to read. i look forward to reading everyone's blogs in the morning more than i enjoy reading my first email of the day. thank you for your writing. it has sparked something new in my creative mind.

12:38 PM  
Blogger stephanie said...

really sweet sentiments from a really sweet friend. :)

1:13 PM  
Blogger bet(h) said...

you yourself are a good friend. i'm thankful i live only blocks away again.

8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home