9.19.2006

following the lines

tracing letters
eliot started pre-k a few weeks ago and it is all about letters at home right now. he has his name down no problem, but that still leaves 21 others to work on. i am making a concerted effort to cut down the amount of time he spends watching tv or videos, although i will freely admit that with three children under five, pretty much the only way that i can make dinner is to put on little einsteins for the ten millionth time at five o'clock.
tracing names
last year i reduced my schedule at work to 32 hours a week, which let me be home for a full day and let david have a full day out of the house. as his business is picking up momentum, we have switched things up a bit, and now i come home at two everyday except for wednesdays. thus giving david time in the office or time to run a group every day of the week. as it so happens, the girls take naps at two so it gives eliot and me some really good one on one time. most of that time was spent outside over the summer, but now there is a bit of a chill in the air.

we had a great time yesterday tracing out these letters, and it made me realize just how quickly time is passing. five is rapidly approaching and eliot is working out who he wants to be, and i think for david and me that means a whole new phase of parenting is on the horizon as well. scary. last night it was telling the truth. it started off with eliot not telling the truth about having eaten candy at school earlier that day (a whole other issue that i am trying to deal with). later david was making cookies and eliot got into the raw dough and flat out said he didnt even though there was evidence on his face. so we had to have that talk, you remember that talk? you know, the one about how telling the truth about something, even if it something you were not supposed to do is better than lying about it. i know i remember my parents giving me that talk. then we had the one about consequences, his being no warm cookie that evening, and how he already had plenty of sugar that day anyway. oy. that was one sad little boy.

i know this is a little incident, or the tip of the iceberg if you will. but i keep thinking to myself, the beginning is so so important. laying a good foundation now so that in the future there will be openness and honesty. whew. melissa you were right, this stuff of parenting, it tests your mettle. but in a good way. scary, but good.

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, parenting is intimidating. My husband and I constantly come across things where we have to ask each other what to do. We're working on the "please" word right now. But, as my grandma used to say, "little kids, little problems; big kids, big problems." So I know there's plenty more to come...

8:37 AM  
Blogger Tracy said...

hold on tight. the ride just seems to get wilder! you are right about a new set of challenges at 5. and the scarey but good bit! absolutely!

10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

eek... I *so* know what you mean. It seems as if each month means the stakes get higher. Sounds as if you are taking the right approach - try to get things right when the stakes are still relatively small...

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you've obviously never had one of my chocolate chip cookies, fresh out of the oven, if you think the stakes were small last night.

we're talking life or death here.

12:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear you, Hannah, and I'm right there with you. Oy.

12:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was actually thinking about miss collette the other night while sam was running away from a very small and reasonable request. he was laughing. when do i make this into a big deal? all the ignoring and weasling... anyway, my friend megan says once she says something to her kids she doesn't change her mind. ever. and it seems to help. sadly, i am far too wishy washy for this kind of stance. le sigh. having to be more grown up than your kids kind of blows.

1:10 PM  
Blogger molly | mommycoddle.com said...

oolala...parenting....some days are rough, and I make mistakes, but other days just flow. it sounds like you're doing so well...i love the classic "cookie incident". I was the queen of Liars when I was little...hopefully, my children won't inherit that gene.

1:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh hannah, I am so there with you in spirit. i have a feeling that if all the blogging moms could actually meet up in one room, we'd solve a lot of the world's parenting delimas. the lying "tests" gets to me with my kids. they don't do it often, but have definitely tried it out on me.

2:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I often wonder at the casual use of the phrase, "I want to have babies!" Too often I hear this coming from the mouths of people around me. Sometimes I think it would be good to replace it with something like:
"I am ready to take on a lifelong challenge many times greater than any I have ever known!"

or:
"I want to be in charge of raising the most dangerous thing on planet earth."

I think the world might be a slightly better place if we kept these in mind. Anyhow, I'm with you Huffmans. I know you can do it!

3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just typed the word verification in as my name. I am getting OLD!

3:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Next time Eliot can't have a cookie, can I come over and get it?

8:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tell myself that lying is a developmental thing that is part and parcel of kids working out who they are and how the world works and exactly what things they have control over and what things they don't.

I am the mother of a 5 yr old. I have to tell myself that!

8:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

p.s., in response to Melissa above, I change my mind all the time.

Every once in a while, I stick to my guns, but more often than not, I respond to reasonableness on my kid's part and think of it that way rather than totally giving in.

(Again, I have to tell myself this stuff or else I will just hide under my covers and weep.)

(heh)

8:35 AM  
Blogger Leslie said...

Hannah
I so know what you're going through! And while I have to agree with amy h. and the "little kids, little problems. . " quote. . . it still terrifies me thinking about all that is yet to come! Egads!

9:39 PM  
Blogger textile_fetish said...

Chloe went through a phase of fibbing at age four and now she's 5.5 and just tells elaborate stories to get me going. Those letters will come. Don't feel pressure to have him "get" them right away!

5:54 AM  
Blogger Betsy said...

I loved when my boys got interested in writing the alphabet...it does pull on my heart-strings a little, knowing I have to let them go to another chapter in their life. My 11yr old still has a hard time with the truth...not fun.

6:24 AM  
Blogger gkgirl said...

you are so right with
what you say...
the challenges change
but with them come
some sweet advantages
as well...
it will all balance out...

(mine are eleven and practically
seven)

6:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home