7.20.2006

not superwoman

i think you all might have misunderstood me a few posts back. you know, when i said i go to the fabric store with three kids. i do, but believe me, i dont deserve your compliments. i think the problem springs from perception. i think you think (and correct me if i am wrong here) that i am strolling around the fabric store, looking at bolts of fabric without a care in the world, while my three children sit as comatose and angelic as cupie dolls in the shopping cart. no. not even close. while i would love it if that were true, it is more like the exact opposite. picture me in the basement, agonizing over some bag or whatever that i want to make, and after going through all of my fabric and scraps ten times (while making a huge mess) i finally decide that i just cant do it if i dont have some black and white dotted fabric. so then five days later, i muster up the courage, feed the kids, shove them in the minivan, drive like a banshee to joanns (because i could never really take three kids to a NICE fabric store) stuff them in a cart, rush over to the black/white section, grab a bolt, dash to the cutting counter. stand there like a crack addict waiting for a fix (picture some slight body tremors here) get my half yard (because i shouldnt be spending money on fabric anyway) push my cart quickly past the thread aisle, snatch one before those two sets of amazingly sticky fingers get any into the cart, pay the lady at the register, drive like a banshee back home because now arlo is screaming. get home, turn on the transformers dvd for the ten millionth time, give collette some more milk in a sippy cup because she drinks about a gallon and a half a day and spills the remaing half on the couch, then fall in an exhausted heap on the couch with a child attached to my chest. that is really more like it. i hope that clears things up. i promise i am no superwoman. i mean come on, we have been having bfd for two, maybe three (ok four) nights out of the week.
bfd
breakfast for dinner that is. guaranteed to be eaten, and involves protein. my two main goals when it comes to dinner lately. but sometimes its just pancakes. or noodles with butter. i just cant bring myself to make a regular dinner that only i am going to eat. it isnt so bad when david is there to eat some too, and eliot picks and collette just chews on a piece of pork chop for twenty minutes and thens spits out grey mounds of meat goop onto her plate. because the one thing i refuse to do is make separate meals. so we eat breakfast, because who doesnt love breakfast? crazy people thats who. somehow in my mind, making mostly decent food i know they will eat seems better than making a good dinner for myself and letting them have chips for dinner or something like that. i am thinking that in about four years from now i can make really yummy dinners and everyone will be able to eat them with a very minimal amount of complaining. until then, i read orangette for my foodie fix. yum.

22 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You crack me up!

(I do the bfd thing a lot too.)

8:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, you made me laugh...hard! Yes, you have to love Joanns, full of screaming kids. =) And I say, a meal is a meal!

8:38 AM  
Blogger Heidijayhawk said...

We do bfd at least once a week! We also have the cereal option. I love to cook "actual" food. The kids are required to try everything and then they can opt for the cereal option. No separate meals made, but a little bit of a comprimise.

Well done at the fabric store...you are a true mother of three now!

8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i don't care what you say... you're still superwoman to me! bfd is the best... especially omelettes or chilaquiles - so yummy!

9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

last night: blueberry waffles and brown'n serve sausages.

My kids would have bfd every night if they could. Usually we do buttered pasta. Hy-Vee had Barilla for .55/box and i went nuts stocking my pantry for those easy dinners. Add sliced fruit and milk and you're done, right?

my problem is that my older ones will not fit in the cart so they're wandering around and SEE all these THINGS we need to DO and MAKE like SO and SO's MOM DOES. i don't need that kind of guilt.

:)

estea

10:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we have bfd at least once a week, too! french toast or pancakes usually. yummy!

10:45 AM  
Blogger molly | mommycoddle.com said...

First of all, I'm so glad you just gave "breakfast for dinner" three cute little letters--now I don't have to waste my time anymore saying the whole thing. really. I like it. How about BFD in your BVD's?
Second--your JoAnn's description rings so absolutely true I was laughing out loud (could have used LOL there, but hate that abbrev. for some reason), and then had me almost crying realizing how pathetic I must look to everyone else in the store.
Thirdly--I took two kids to the thrift store this morning..lost one, until I tracked down the worker-lady carrying the screaming baby with a leaky diaper (she grumpily pointed out to me), meanwhile, I lost the other while reclaiming the first...then the same lady got on the loud speaker and made an announcement about "for hte safety of your children, please leave them in your cart...yadda, yadda...."

I think it's obvious--we ARE both superwomen!!

12:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can barely handle the one kiddo at the fabric store, let alone three. So, bravo for making it there at all! We had a screaming/full cart/full diaper/no changing table in the restroom episode at the Hancock Fabrics last week. They are a pretty good alternative to the "nice" fabric store, too (where they seemed annoyed when Elise was throwing her socks on the floor -- gasp!).

12:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You summed it up so well. The guys will never understand what it's really like to try to get things accomplished during the day.

12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! Too funny! You're my hero, navigating any store with three kids in tow, is something only a supermom could do.

We love bfd A LOT around here as well. And I agree I can't bring myself to cook a real meal when it's just me and Buddy either.

12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

um, that's what I call cooking most of the time. paul upped the anti the other day by making veggie beanie weanies. so gross.

1:18 PM  
Blogger laura capello said...

I made bacon the other night for dinner.

Just bacon.

Okay, actually I made some eggs for me and aaron too and some veggies for the boys.

But we ate an entire package of bacon.

1:38 PM  
Blogger laeroport said...

Breakfast for dinner - Gooooooood! I make a menu for the week on Friday night with the fam (while we're out for dinner and waiting for our food to arrive - that way they can't complain about what we're having 'cuz they helped make the menu), but if Tim's not home and especially if I am tired, the menu goes out the window and we're havin' scrambled eggs. Or just cereal is good too. :) Yea frosted mini-wheats!

2:58 PM  
Blogger kimberly said...

this made me laugh really hard.
I could eat breakfast for every meal every day.
I'm not usually allowed to pick where we go after church because I always pick breakfast every time.

8:31 PM  
Blogger Claudia said...

Ahh, what a crafting mother will do! I'm right there with you, sister. Tonight, I made a desperate decision to take the 2 & 3 year olds to the quilt/craft/sew fair at 7pm! Yikes! Am I crazy? YES! But I made sure they each had a lollipop to eat as we dashed up and down the 5 aisles. I hope to be back by myself tomorrow!

Oooh, your potatoes look YUMMY! Thanks for mentioning Orangette too, amazing!

9:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bfd sounds eminently sensible! Audrey's latest dinnertime trick is to take 2 bites of whatever is in front of her, announce "I've had enough", and then dart off to pull all the cushions off the couch to 'build a house' or some such. Anything that makes meal times with kids less stressful is a winner in my eyes!

6:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude. we had bfd just last night! And hey--maybe tonight too!

10:06 AM  
Blogger shannon said...

did you take a breath while writing that, i think i held mine the entire time i was reading. you crack me up!!!!!

12:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved this post. Truer words have never been blogged. I only have 1 kid, but I can relate, in a less frenetic way, to it all.

I would eat b for l or d easily. My housemate don't agree. Bea would rather eat d for b. I asked her the other day what she wanted for breakfast and she said pasta.

3:04 PM  
Blogger Leslie said...

Sometimes my meal plan involves LFL&D (that's lunch for lunch and dinner). . .you see, you feed the kids a really, really big meal for lunch. Then when dinner rolls around, suggest "You guys aren't really that hungry, are you?" Bonus! One meal for two!

Okay, um, you don't do that?

Er, uh. . .he he. .

8:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, that fabric store excusrion sounds exactly like all of my outings!

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahahaha! How is it that all mother's live the same life somehow?

My favorite part was the standing at the cutting counter like a crack addict needing a fix. I do that EXACT THING when I'm wanting people to hurry up so my kids don't start becoming...well, kid-like.

Pip
www.pipandtom.com

10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home