10.17.2007

tubes & bags

i felt like stripes
yeah, i guess that title sounds all medical. like i am dragging around oxygen and a catheter. not so. no worries. i just made some tubes. or footless socks, or half leggings, or faux socks. faucks? what are we going to call these things??? melissa, that lady, made some a few days ago. she assured me that it was a cinch. she does not lie. it is true. i literally wrapped the knit tight around my calf, pinned it, peeled it off and then sewed two lines of stitching. done. slap on a skirt, some socks to keep your toes warm and some smart shoes and away we go. i predict i will start seeing cute knit fabrics everywhere. you know, like when you find out you are pregnant, but you cant tell anyone and suddenly the world is only populated by women shuffling around in their third trimester. no? well, i think it will be like that for me anyway. here is a little secret, these look even better because i got to borrow my friend donna's fancy camera. oh yes. it was fun. i was going to take team pictures for eliot's soccer team tonight be we got rained out. looks like i will have to spend some time with the fancy camera again in a few weeks. shucks. thank you donna. so fun.

the bags! i did make two more bags for sarah to take to uganda as gifts. thank you for all the helpful hints in the last post. i used allison's method which i had completely forgotten about. duh. much easier, but still i am not completely happy with it. i need to work on it some more. or maybe just hand stitch that part. maybe. lets not get silly.

here is a quick photo kerry snapped. my monitor at work is total crap, so it looks really dark for me, but i just wanted you to see the fabrics. it felt good to use up large pieces from my stash. these are all floppy and easy, which i like. it feels good to be back in front of the sewing machine. and jenny asked me if i wanted her old serger. uh. yes. hello! so, back to work for me. i have a ninja costume and two woodland fairies a la chicken to get crackin' on. with serged seams thank you very much.

15 Comments:

Blogger cat collier martinez said...

work monitor? what? lovely knits, i'm jealous-like.

1:44 PM  
Blogger Abby said...

ohhh I luv the tubes...
I'm going to send this post to my sister as she has legs perfect for these...hehe thanx
luv Abby

2:06 PM  
Blogger shari said...

legwarmers? :) i know, i know. it's too flashdance/eighties right? cute nevertheless. good luck on those costumes.xox

2:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

faucking adorable!~ hannah, these are all the rage down here in the winter, but in thick knit, worn over flats - they always looked so cozy, i'm gonna try to find some before i leave. and how cute is this tip toe photo? that cute. so cute.

4:33 PM  
Blogger molly | mommycoddle.com said...

i'm still laughing about catheters and oxygen...

love those new knits....

6:31 PM  
Blogger Blair said...

look at your super cute gams in those leg wa....I mean tubes. They look great!

Can you believe I finally have mail coming for you soon? I know, I can't believe it either. Guess I'm finally gettin myself together over here. Hope you are well!

xo

6:35 PM  
Blogger ke said...

i love these hannah. i need a pair. looking for cute knits starts now.

8:14 PM  
Blogger lisa solomon said...

lovin the tubes and the bags.... :)

9:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those bags of yours look superb... and the striped leg attire, too.
see you, grache
(P.S. Our New Orleans book, Those Two Daring Pirates used that very same fabric. I loved it for it reminded me of confetti 1950s style. You can see it here: http://gracialouise.bigcartel.com/product/artists-book-by-gracia-louise-those-two-daring-pirates )

3:07 AM  
Blogger pixiegenne said...

i gotta try those tubes - they sound easy enough for even me to handle. and i love that bag - such great fabric!

6:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My question is: do they actually stay up? I'm dubious.

8:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your tubes...although I am gonna say what nobody want to hear and call them legwarmers. Yep, I think they are a much better version, but still the same...
I like this idea much better than wearing Babylegs (which, not gonna lie-I do own a pair). I am excited to see what comes from the camera borrowing...

6:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, I guess I need to read other's comments before typing the same damn thing! Sorry;)

6:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love those socks! I just found your blog today - it is really nice!

11:10 AM  
Blogger Di said...

I love the tubey socks! Black and white stripey legs always look great!!

12:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home