10.08.2007

a bag for sarah

a bag for sarah
so my friend sarah is again heading to uganda. on tuesday as a matter of fact. for a year to work in kampala with bishop zac. she ever so sweetly asked me if i would make her a bag like the one i made for her friend miriam the last time she went to uganda. what? of course i can do such a thing. so here is her bag, a bit floppy, but ready to leave the country. i used the same tutorial from tiny happy. i actually have two more to make because sarah wanted to surprise miriam's two sweet daughters with bags of their own. so quick question for all you sewers, the final step on this bag, the sewing together of the straps at the top, gives me some grief. anyone made this before? any tips on this step? this whole bag is sewn together straps and all as one piece, and you slip stitch the lining closed at the top. anyway i feel as though i cant even describe my issue and i was just wondering if anyone else has tried it. man. apparently i cant marshal my thoughts this wednesday.

11 Comments:

Blogger molly | mommycoddle.com said...

i've got no advice...but i LOVE the picture! (and the bag, of course!)

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't made this bag myself, but I remember seeing that Allison at La Mammina had an alternative way of doing the strap.
Here's a link: http://lamammina.typepad.com/la_mammina/2007/05/a_tiny_happy_ba.html

10:31 AM  
Blogger Ali said...

I was going to point you in Alison's direction too, but Jen beat me to it.

10:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am no help, but i just wanted to say i love the bag!

12:34 PM  
Blogger lera said...

I made that bag a long time ago. I remember stumbling at that same part.

I recently made other things assembled the same way. I cut the lining a little longer than needed. Then I sewed the exterior handles together (right sides together) and then folded under each part of the lining and used a blind stitch or stitch in the ditch to catch all layers. I don't know if that makes sense. (And maybe that's how she explains to do it and I just had an epiphahy.)

12:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi hannah,
sorry that this step is not explained very well in my tutorial. i do keep meaning to update it, but am too lazy.
i think allison's way of explaining how she did the strap differently was helpful- i see someone has posted the link here. when i sew the strap, i firstly sew the outer strap pieces right sides together all the way along, and press flat. then i tuck the two lining handle pieces neatly inside- and slip stitch closed. hope this helps!
i love the fabric you used on your bag.

4:55 PM  
Blogger Claudia said...

I hope this advice isn't too late! From what I can tell you are joining the straps at the top, right? Why not ditch the whole inserting and slip-stitching steps and do a French seam?
Not only will a French seam look pretty, it will also add some strength to that seam!

Let me know if this idea works and/or if you need any help figuring out how to do a French Seam. Here is a very easy-to-understand French seam tutorial:
http://stardustshoes.blogspot.com/2007/08/sewing-101-french-seam.html

11:22 PM  
Blogger Grace said...

Sorry, I have no advice either, BUt I do love the bag and remember teh one for Miriam. (lovely story) Thank-you for the link to the tutorial. I might have to try my hand at it.

4:45 AM  
Blogger hannah said...

oh duh! i feel like such a dunce, i remember allison's modification now! i will put it to good use. i do like the french seam idea too. hmmm. we shall see what happens!

9:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kudos for using the phrase, "Marshall my thoughts."

6:57 AM  
Blogger j said...

how'd everything go with with the bags?

I like the new picture.

and I hope you are enjoying October.

4:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home