6.25.2007

quick like

quickly now
it seems like most of sewing has been hurried as of late. i take full blame for this, because obviously i would rather be sitting on the porch eating instead of in my dingy basement. who wouldnt really? right. so two gifts later and i have a little, just a little something to show for it. the patchwork pieces above were sewn into little coasters real quick like as a last minute wedding gift. handmade compliment to a wedding gift, these were accompanied by six glasses and a matching pitcher. i knew i wouldnt give myself enough time for an aftershot, so all you get is a before. i will also fully admit to being selfish. how? oh well the original idea was patchwork placemats, but when i pulled out my linen and started figuring just how much i would need i felt a little sick to my stomach. so downsized to coasters and add some pretty from crate & barrel, and everyone is happy. whew.

if at first...
and then there is the experiment gift. last time i shirred a dress for collette, i kept thinking i could make a adult sized skirt. my sister had a birthday two weeks ago, so i thought hmmm, perfect time to try it out. she doesnt sew a stitch so i knew she would be pleased with anything even if i thought it was crap. nice huh? use family as guinea pigs, check. anyway, so one yard of fabric turned into a big tube and there you go, skirt. and for the more daring 22 year olds i know (you sis) this can also pass as a tube top of sorts, even though i fully disapprove of said piece of clothing. my thoughts on this are next time use more fabric, but when you procrastinate well then. if this were my skirt (not tube top, ugh i even hate the word) i would want more fullness. my sister was thrilled with it as i predicted and david even said, "i like that fabric". i have a thrifted sheet that i am going to have a go at for myself. anyone else try a skirt yet? erin?

Labels:

21 Comments:

Blogger Blair said...

that first photo could have been from my sewing table, we have many similar fabrics (from same friends, perhaps?) I love that skirt. I actually looked at (should I say it) tube tops at J Crew last week that were just the same make (not as cute fabric) and thought, would it be old lady of me to just wear them as skirts? Now I think it might look cute. Cause Blair hasn't done tube tops since she was Colette's age...

11:35 AM  
Blogger bet(h) said...

i think the skirt looks nice, han. and i am sad to not see a finished coasters pic - b/c i am intrigued by this idea. you'll have to explain it to me next time i'm over.

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool skirt!

Also: tube top = easy access
Your words, not mine.

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am definitely thinking about it....did you see the double needle number that coronita posted over on flickr? a skirt might be a good way to try that. i have a shirt to finish first....

11:47 AM  
Blogger Mama Urchin said...

The skirt is great. My sis would go for the tube top too but not me, the kids would have me bearing all to the neighborhood in no time flat.

11:57 AM  
Blogger hannah said...

toby - nail on the head. nuff said.

12:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOVE the skirt!!! That fabric is SO good. And what a sweet gift those handmade coasters are for your friends!

No go sit on the porch and eat some berries for me! You deserve it!

12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well that is just a perfect skirt my dear. !

12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was TOTALLY going to do this, too. I love how it turned out and I like that it is "slim" and not too puffy. Yay! You are motivating me to actually make one now :^)

12:56 PM  
Blogger Alina said...

I love the skirt....and the fabric is great.

1:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice skirt! What a great idea! It looks so wonderfully cool and summery.

3:09 PM  
Blogger ke said...

i can't stop looking at that skirt! so freaking cool! i love it. way to go hannah!

8:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

tube top

2:18 AM  
Blogger Chara Michele said...

What a great skirt!

I don't blame you for making coasters instead of placemats, I don't think I would have wanted to part with that much linen and pretty fabrics either:)

7:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the coaster idea with the bought glasses and pitcher. And the skirt looks nice and slim with just one yard of (fabulous) fabric. I love it when my husband likes the fabric I've chosen for a project. It's such an affirmation.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

Very cute skirt...I am interested in how you shirred it. I remember attempting this without much success sometime in the 70s. I seem to recall something about elastic thread in the bobbin. I now have a much better (and MUCH more expensive) machine and might like to give it a try...

6:55 PM  
Blogger jenny gordy said...

hey hannah,
i love that skirt! your sister is one lucky gal. cool fabric. also, those coasters look like they would be really cute. i think you just solved my gift problem for a wedding i'm going to. speaking of fabric-giving friends, i got you a teensy b-day present when i was in oregon. you have to come finish your shirt and claim it! :) by the way, collette's hair looks adorable. go, amber!

10:30 PM  
Blogger cat collier martinez said...

i love it when you show n tell your sewing projects, so fun and simply inspiring.

7:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Hannah,
I discovered a group of hand quilter's through the John Knox retirement village thrift store.They are all mostly in their 80's and 90's and amazing to watch.They meet on Saturday and Monday mornings to quilt. They will hand quilt items for $100-300. They also bast quilts for $30 and then you take them home to quilt and bind.Though I'd pass that along. I was happy to find them. :)

3:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The skirt is absolutely adorable! I'm 26 and I would definitely wear it!

11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great fabric. Love the skirt. I would definitely wear it but I'd want a little more fullness for these hips. But I have a hard time with skirts and dresses. NO WAY on the tube top.

9:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home