5.30.2007

i really do love green

probably no surprise to the rest of you, but it kind of was for me. i guess i gravitate towards it. i finished up a dress for collette yesterday that is green. i mean there are the shoes, and this shirt (which i have on today btw), and the sheets... and while i was doing all this green thinking i realized i had this on. hmm. i remember the days when my mom used to beseech me to buy something that wasnt black or grey. somewhere along the line i must have listened to her. i should let her know, she would like that. anyway, so enough green, lets talk dresses!!
the ham strikes again

some detail
this is my second smocked or shirred (i know smocking is by hand, but i like that word better than shirred, it just sounds gross) dress. the first was for arlo. yes i know its green too, but we are not talking about that. collettes was green out of happenstance. i originally tried making one out of a red linen blend with white smocking but the fabric was too heavy so it was shelved for salvage. this fabric was sent to me by thisvintagechica, and i love love love it. green yes, but pink polka dotted apples too people! i really wrestled with making a skirt for myself out of this, but finally decided on something for collette. i have enough left that you just might see that skirt yet. we shall see. anyway, i had this version in progress and then erin (another unabashed green lover!) put out her wonderful tutorial. go check it out. i followed her instructions for gathering on this one, which i did not do for arlo's, and i really like the result. i think next time i am going to put this method in action for an adult sized skirt. i think the same method would totally work, and who doesnt love a pull on skirt? pull on anything for that matter, i do have three kids.

so anyway, things abounding on the internet that i am loving::
summertime (almost!) at orangette... oh baby. june is so my favorite month too.
mav is a genius pure and simple. happy birthday card society!

and last but certainly never least i want to give props to two of my good friends john and kristen. they are owners of habitat, my favorite shoe store, much loved and talked about here by me. they have been working hard hard hard the last few weeks gearing up for their new website, go take a peek! john and kristen wanted to convey the feel of their store to all you people that are not in kansas city to experience it in person, i think they did a bang up job. it has been so amazing following their journey as small business owners. because of them, supporting small business has really become something i try to do.
i try to help as much as possible both by shopping and working when i can. if you are in kansas city, another first friday rolls around this week and habitat does not disappoint yet again. last month it was the ping pong turney (which john nailed to say the least), this friday they have a free parking lot concert, a vespa giveaway, a gallery showing and they will be selling shoes like mad late into the night. please come by and say hi, get some shoes, and maybe win a vespa!

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was totally thinking about a skirt, too! but then wondering if my "other" hips wouldn't pull out the sewing. nice work, hannah. way to sacrifice the material for the offspring.

10:47 AM  
Blogger beki said...

Ooo, that is so cute!

12:02 PM  
Blogger Mama Urchin said...

The green looks great on her. I'm trying that elastic thread as soon as I can get to the fabric store.

1:34 PM  
Blogger Malinda said...

OMG it's first friday's again?! Where does the time go?

Your dresses are so cute. I hope I have a girl so I have a good reason to use my sewing machine!

2:36 PM  
Blogger shari said...

such a cute dress! habitat's website is beautiful. loved browsing. xo

3:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok - first, the fabric! i think we have something in common, there...hee hee. second, the girl. oh my goodness - too cute. third, the dress - perfect, hannah. just perfect! and more on elastic thread... i actually bought myself a shirred dress the other day and i was so surprised that it looked decent. a skirt for me is on my list. i think a wide band is going to be the key for me and my hips.

6:29 PM  
Blogger Chara Michele said...

Very cute dress! I think a skirt made like that would be cool:)

8:59 AM  
Blogger eireann said...

I love the shirring/faux-smocking. it's lovely! still trying to get my courage up to sew with elastic thread.

2:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cute dress and even cuter collettey!

7:32 PM  
Blogger Abbey said...

I get 'stuck' on certain colorways, too. Used to be reds, then pinks, now it's blue/greens.

Such a cutie pie in a cute dress.. reminds me of the dresses I wore as a child. (that my mother made for me)

6:24 AM  
Blogger cat collier martinez said...

im green with envy...your growing abilities as a seamstress are wonderful to see. how's your "green"thumb? :)

8:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The smocking (shirring???) is great! I have been wondering about whether I had the nerve to try. Thanks for the tutorial link! Oh, and, I love the photo of the worms below!

5:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really do love new posts. Just saying.

6:10 AM  
Blogger MWM said...

I keep coming back to this dress -so cute. And the model....
She's got it down:)

11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home