1.24.2006

who likes math?

i have been itching to put together my 2006 datebook since before christmas. of course i didnt get around to it until this weekend. if you have never done any bookbinding before, it is really fun and satisfying, especially if you get your math right. if you dont, like me, then it is really frustrating and annoying. i sat down on friday surrounded by papers and bookcloth, glue, paste brush and bone folder and a huge stack of scratch paper ready to go. i couldnt find my instructions, but hey, i could wing it, right? i thought i knew the basic formula for calculating the width of my spine. why i thought i could wing things like math and tiny fractions on my clearly addled pregnant brain i dont know. i slaved all through nap time only to end up with a gorgeous cover that had a spine about three inches wide. hmmm. my date book is an inch wide at best. fast forward to yesterday morning. i pack eliot and collette up, run over to the papersource in the freezing cold, buy a piece of book board, and most importantly photo copy instructions from a kit. then i run back home, put collette down for a nap and proceed to do some more math and cut out more paper and bookcloth while sitting a mini table with eliot. i have to admit it was really funny to watch eliot mimic my measurement and note taking movements with his pile of paper and crayons. i also have to admit that i way overstressed the max capacity load of the child sized chair, popped the legs out, almost fell on my bum, and then switched to a more adult appropriate stool. oops. all that to say that i did finially manage to finish my planner and a little blank journal yesterday. the journal was a smidge tight, but by that point i didnt care and just went with it.

new 2006 date book and journal
i dont really know what all the rush was to get my planner done. my schedule for 2006 is pretty much wide open, except for this...
schedule

but really, that isnt something that one can schedule, is it? oh well. i am really excited to have that little journal done though. i plan on using it to keep track of all the beautiful things i see online, art that i would love to have someday, like these amazing prints that kelly posted a bit ago. i cant stop looking at them. there are so many things i see while reading crafty blogs that i always think, oh i love this, surely i will remember where i saw it. nope. i dont. good thing i got that journal finished.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are both gorgeous! Bookbinding looks like such fun - I love the one you sent me.

Do you think you might be willing to share a mini tutorial?

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ditto Myra! i'd love a tutorial, too! the book you sent me is such a little treasure!

1:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'll be honest & say i think book binding is really hard. kudos to you for sticking with it & making it work. you are good at that. and your books turned out great!

2:07 PM  
Blogger Samantha said...

Well done to you - those look great. I can imagine that they are difficult to do.

Maybe you could fill in some more pages by provisionally allocating the whole of the week for the baby's arrival!

2:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah-you seem to be pretty wide open, oh, except that "having a baby" thing. (and 3 kids! they'll have you out-numbered!!)
the books look awesome. It's been a long time since I have done any real bookbinding, they are unforgiving creatures, huh?

10:40 PM  
Blogger kristen said...

I just bought my planner at Paper Source this past weekend. I've been itching to get it bound but cannot find the materials I used for binding my planner last year. I think they're in that one box I cannot seem to find from the move. I'm desperate for getting organized...I may need to sneak over to your house and bum some glue. Both your books turned out splendid...I'm not sure I ever would've attempted it without the instructions. You're a brave woman.

6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home