1.10.2006

self portrait tuesday - personal history

what's in a name? for me this is a pretty easy question. i was named after both of my great grandmothers, hannah campbell and ester gomez. it took me a long time to appreciate my names. at some level i always thought it was cool that i had these family names, but in practice as the only girl named hannah all through grade school, it was a little tough. for a long time i yearned to be a jennifer or holly or something, and it was only just recently that i wasnt embarrassed to tell people my "old lady" middle name. but now i am older and wiser (maybe?) and am fully satisfied with being hannah ester. its me. i cant imagine it any other way. and lucky me, i have two wonderful pictures to remind me.

my father's grandmother, hannah campbell

my mother's grandmother, ester gomez

while i was visiting my grandmother this weekend, i took more pictures of some of the history on the collette side and uploaded them, along with these, to flickr. more self portrait bloggers can be found here.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Plus, "Hannah" is a palindrome. Not many people can say that about their first name.

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home