3.15.2009

in the middle

trains
power lines
windmills
cows
there is a lot of kansas. sometimes i forget that fact, living on the very right hand side of it. i love those long flat swaths of yellow, i couldn't keep my eyes away from them. or the camera. people like to say there is nothing in the middle of kansas, but that's not true at all. i found trains, power lines, windmills and cows, all four which compliment the flat grasslands quite nicely. we went to see molly, ever so briefly, yesterday in oklahoma city for a book signing. there was talk of getting chocolate malts at braum's, but a little girl with a fever made for a change of plans. as david said, there's always something when you've got three kids involved. despite the fever (and motrin and tylenol and pedialyte) it was nice to get away for a bit.

12 Comments:

Blogger MWM said...

these photos are just breathtaking.
I love large landscapes. My trip to Marfa, Texas, which is in western texas, was the first time I experienced a landscape that seemed to go on forever. It was incredible.
How fun to go see Molly too. I wish her book tour would come to minneapolis.
Fevers raging here too....hope the rest of the bunch doesn't get it.

7:55 PM  
Blogger Leslie said...

I love those western parts of Kansas, too. I want to drive out that way and photograph a wind farm that a friend visited. Wouldn't that be fun?

6:26 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

Beautiful pictures! Reminds me of Oklahoma. Funny you should mention OKC and Braum's...yumm!

12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The middle is grand, indeed. Thank you for these beautiful shots, so open and empty-full.

8:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOVE love love Kansas landscapes! Of course, I am biased, since I live here too, butI have lived on both coasts and I still think Kansas is the most beautiful.

8:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your photos gave me a big smile, I have really good memories of the first time I ever visited Kansas and saw all that flat and wide. It blew me away. I'm so glad you got to see Molly, hope all are fever free very soon.xo

8:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bbeeaauuttiiffuuuuull!

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos... and I like how all the best colour combinatons, all those delicious hues running side by side, exist in nature.

5:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

those photos are breathtaking Hannah. Oh and Braums...yum.

9:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh the very middle of America.

Did I ever tell you about the best sunset I've ever seen? It was in Kansas, one September, many moons ago.

7:22 PM  
Blogger Justine said...

wow I've never been to the Midwest to see the landscape for myself, but these are absolutely gorgeous. they sure make my mind wander...

5:44 PM  
Anonymous Kasia said...

Oh, these are beautiful! Makes me want to jump in my car and go on a roadtrip!

6:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home