3.10.2008

again, but more professional

to the right
in anticipation that someday summer will come back to kansas city, i made a new dress for arlo. i trotted out the trusty simplicity 4206 pattern once again, with a few modifications. i lengthened the sleeves about two inches and added about 8 inches in length to the bottom of the pattern to end up with a dress instead of a top. i took my time, my recurring lesson in self discipline, and even finished the seams all professional like with the serger. after putting the needle through my fingernail the last time i messed with the serger, i was a little wary. but, i had a snack, took a deep breath, made sure there was lots of light, and tackled the job of changing to grey thread and rethreading the whole thing. easy peasy!

the fabric is some japanese import linen i got online that i love. after falling in love with the double gauze fabric from reprodepot for the front door, i started thinking about what i could accomplish with a yard of fabric and tiny daughters. i mean, your average fabric runs $9 a yard. $9 for a cute sun dress?? i will totally pay that instead of some impulse buy from old navy. so i took some time to look online for a couple prints for each girl and i am set for the summer. excellent. also excellent is the fabric buying guide that sarah posted today. hopefully the next step is what can i accomplish with two yards of fabric for myself. lucky me, jenny lives really close and she actually lets me pick her brain about sewing. i am having visions of the perfect summer dress, wiksten style.

28 Comments:

Blogger SouleMama said...

Loooooove the dress, Hannah. Super cute. And really good idea to go longer on the sleeves - that looks great. Yay for summer sewing!!

4:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

DUDE!!!

This deserves a celebratory phone call.

4:11 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Oh my gosh, I can't believe how big Arlo has gotten! And so amazingly cute! Especially in that dress, but I have a suspicion that she'd be cute in a potato sack!

4:19 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

Oh super duper cute dress. Arlo is a gorgeous girl and the dress really looks great on her. I cant believe how quickly she has grown either.

4:21 PM  
Blogger house on hill road said...

look at you go, hannah! that dress is super cute - so is arlo.

5:35 PM  
Blogger  said...

So fab! I'm pretty sure I have that pattern. I need to make it instead of making the same ol' same ol' a-line sundress that I've made over and over for a year! ;) Thanks for inspiring me!

6:24 PM  
Blogger erica said...

so cute! great job with the sewing, i love the sleeves, and the fabric, of course!

6:26 PM  
Blogger jenny gordy said...

LOVE love love the dress. and the arlo. so wonderful! we will have to get started on some grown up dresses!

7:42 PM  
Blogger sulu-design said...

Yikes - it's all so cute: the model, the fabric, the design. Just adorable.

10:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so motivating me!

I feel like a big girl today as I learned how to gather and finally learned how to do a zipper.

The last outfit I made was my Princess Leia costume (NERD) and used velcro to avoid all needs for zippers.

10:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cut out pants from good ol 4206 about two hours ago! The tiered skirt is a great pattern, too.

Hooray for taking time and making special dresses. I am doing the same thing. Have fun.

12:42 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

oh so adorable! -kb

3:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wonderful dress! japanese fabrics seem to capture childhood like no one else can.

4:37 AM  
Blogger MWM said...

you are killing me. ack.
the dress, the girl, the pose.
she's taking some cues from big sis C.

6:06 AM  
Blogger village mama said...

delicious Arlo, making that dress look like a million bucks!

6:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that dress is awesome. that fabric was some of my favorite this year but i still haven't cut into it! this makes me want to make something wearable with it.

7:29 AM  
Blogger Grace said...

arlo is the best and that dress comes in close second. ;) Good job!

8:16 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

she's so CUTE! killing me. the dress is wonderful too. I have that same fabric. I love to see dresses actually made of fabric I have waiting for me, makes me hopeful :)

9:01 AM  
Blogger vwiese said...

Not that I needed this dress to confirm it but.... Arlo is my favorite!!!

11:56 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

The dress is adorable, I love the pattern on the fabric. She looks adorable in it.

2:52 PM  
Blogger meg said...

I have summer dresses (for mama)on the brain as well. I can't wait to see what you come up with. you're so lucky to live close to jenny!

4:57 PM  
Blogger lisa solomon said...

cute cute cute!!

6:49 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Fazio (aka lealou) said...

this is THE cutest dress!

6:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

whhhheeeennnnn are we going on that picnic? i am so tired of the cold.

are we destined to hang out once a year? i guess so! lets talk soon. lee and i miss you guys.

amy b.

6:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's true. It doesn't really take a lot of fabric to make a girl's dress and you certainly couldn't get a decent shop bought one for the same price.

8:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

eeeee! Adorable! Really nice job on that dress

10:35 PM  
Blogger Morgan Moore said...

The dress is so sweet! I love it!

2:05 PM  
Blogger Chara Michele said...

That dress is so cute! I can't wait to see what you make for yourself!

10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home