3.06.2007

in memory

in memory
on sunday i noticed a squirrel with a hurt leg in the yard. on monday david found it dead under the lilac bush. so when i got home in the afternoon with eliot we had a little funeral for mr. squirrel. and yes, i dug the hole and inserted the squirrel myself. i do dig holes for a living you know. anyway it was a special fifteen minutes with eliot. we made a cross and found a heart shaped rock and leaf to put on mr. squirrel's grave, and then we said a few words.

eliot: is the squirrel ok?
me: well remember his leg was hurt yesterday?
eliot: yeah
me: well the good thing is that he isn't in any more pain.
eliot: oh.
eliot: but the bad thing is he's dead.
me: uh. yeah. that is very true.

that kid doesnt miss a thing.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am SO glad you wrote that conversation down so no one will forget it! What a thoughtful mama you are, and I love Eliot's realism. :)

6:17 AM  
Blogger donna said...

it's a shame that eliot is nothing like david. :)

6:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are a nice mom. i don't think i would have touched the squirrel. i would have fatty do it instead.:)

10:24 AM  
Blogger lisa solomon said...

sad, but also sweet. elliot- what a good egg!

9:53 PM  
Blogger T.M.K. said...

that's such a touching conversation. the other day that we happened upon a dying roach while crossing the street. he said "poor bug, the cars just couldn't see him to stop". he seemed so big to me at that moment.

5:23 AM  
Blogger molly | mommycoddle.com said...

i'm glad that little squirrel passed away in your yard. I think kids need that little ceremony sometimes. I've had to bury two still born kittens in the year we've been here on the farm, and I could tell it gave Emma some relief. Their hearts are so sweet.

11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home