11.29.2006

im done and so is kc

what are you doing kc??
yesterday it was 70 degrees in kc. 70 people! it was ridiculous how nice it was. i spent the afternoon lounging on the porch swing with a magazine while eliot did some hunting. have i ever said how thankful i am that both collette and arlo take afternoon naps? i am. please dont jinx me nap gods. i also took advantage of the good light to snap some photos of my christmas present.
p2p calendar
september
with this beautiful thing and my new bag, i am done for christmas already. it feels good to be done. david and i have really pared things down this year and that feels good too. we have decided to come up with the best gift possible for each other without spending any money. i already have a few ideas cooking for him. for the kids we set a limit of $30 each, which i doubt we will reach. we also just adopted three foster children's wish lists through a charity at church. my plan is to take eliot shopping to help pick out the gifts. i know that no matter how much i explain it to him, he will probably still freak out when we take the presents to church to give away. i am preparing for tears, but i really think that in the long run, it will be a good experience for him. my hope is to start a habit of giving, the sooner the better. unfortunately the due date for the operation red bag for the foster children is this sunday, but if you live in kansas city and are interested in adopting a child or family, check out kudl.com this was the best venue i could come up with after calling the salvation army and the police station. where ever you live, try to do a little something to help someone out this year, it makes you feel good, and makes the world that much nicer, dont you think?

in true form, kc is done with blue skies and nice weather today too. ice storm warnings are swirling about everywhere. time to cuddle up at home with some soup, tea and cookies. and if you didnt see them, check out stephanie's draft snakes. so simple, functional and perfect in every way.

ps. please read the quote that blair posted, it is exactly how i feel and wonderfully put. thanks for sharing blair!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i walked to work yesterday in a tshirt (& jeans). today? long sleeve shirt, sweater, coat, scarf, hat, gloves. still cold. 70 vs 32. pretty vast difference.

i love your idea of $0 gifts. beautiful and so much more creative.

12:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow!
can i come and visit-I am freezing over here!
I just love my calendar, too.
Good idea about the gifts-really. How much junk do we need?

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we left a toy store today without buying anything (the usual) and without tears (highly unusual). so far, it's a good day.

1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to add my approval to the list. Those low $ value/high personal value gifts sound good. I will have to follow your lead. I am trying to go the hand made route this year but what to make for the men in the family? I really don't know.

1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the KUDL link! We're already adopting a family through my husband's work, but I was thinking of getting our own, too. I didn't know where to start looking -- so thanks!

6:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your simple view of gifts for Christmas. And I love that setting those kinds of limits on gifts makes the giver *really* think about that gift they are giving, and think about the recipient.

As soon as my car can pull out of my driveway, look for a package from me. I'm sick of snow. And ice.

Stay warm.

7:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so very cool. sadie does best if she can help make the gifts or at least the cards for the gifts, I think pride in the process helps. and she loves wrapping. . but this my not help with this situation this sunday. also, we have found some great book about sharing at the library lately which has made a huge impact. . oh, and I don't take the gilrs to toy stores anymore. ;)

10:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we have a similar gifting program through our church. we started when e was 2 and there were tears - but each yr less and less. this yr i expect they will be kennah's. love the fact that limits have been set - and creativity pushed. bravo!

11:12 PM  
Blogger two trees said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home