5.04.2006

get a little, give a litte, find a little

get a little...
lovely details
my own small object!
some goodness came in the mail the last few weeks. mav's lovely, lovely march card. i love this card. the color, the detail...it is beautiful. and my very own loop trouper from sarah! if you have never shopped at the small object, please go start. sarahs style is amazing, and her packaging is just fabulous, as my husband said "hmm...thats good copy". what an editor geek...

give a little...
teacher appreciation
up close
up close
today is teacher appreciation week at eliot's school. of course i didnt start making something until late last night, hence the dark and blurry pictures, but what the heck. inspired by amanda's holly go lightly bag, i thought it would be great to give the teachers a little bag with a borders gift certificate and implore them to go spend some time relaxing alone. which i would guess teachers of preschool aged children would really appreciate. su? of course i went down to the basement and got distracted by a new pile of thrifted zippers, and distracted by looking through the denyse schmidt book and grabbed some batting and just went crazy. many more hours later i emerged with these gigantic wallet (maybe a clutch?) like things all bleary eyed and ready for bed. eah... it felt good to sew something again, it didnt feel good to stick the bejesus out of my pinky finger with a straight pin. i seriously stuck it in there a quarter of an inch. does anyone else do this? it happens to me all the time. oh and i broke my second needle ever on the sewing machine, and it came flying at my FACE! is there a record of anyone loosing an eye while crafting? i hope not. freaked me out. luckily arlo woke up for a feeding and it gave me some time to muster up the courage to go back downstairs.

find a little...
silver birds
table cloth
last saturday i made my friend vikkie get up early and dragged her all over town to dig through estate sales. some of my favorites: bird salt & pepper shakers sitting on vintage sheets and pillow cases, a vintage tablecloth. i had to talk myself out of buying a cool vintage refrigerator (the kind with the rounded door and big old latch on the front) that i had visions of storing my craft supplies in. i like to keep them chilled. just kidding. why you might ask? well it was down this rickety, narrow little staircase in a basement, and the more i thought about it the more i realized that getting out would be a long process involving many hands and a truck i didnt have with time i couldnt spare. it was hard to pass up, but i had to let it go. always something, huh? next time i guess.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Hannah! That's so funny. Last summer at an estate sale around the corner, I bought one of those fridges for $10 and Brian was steaming mad. It was SO heavy to get home. And even though it works, he won't let me plug it in for fear it will cost gobs of money in electric bills. (New models are so much more efficient.) Now it's sitting idle in the basement! That's a good idea to turn it into some storage, though. Oooo.. maybe for our laundry room.

10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha! love everything - especially those birda. amazing find!

10:18 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Great stuff!

I have stuck myself so many times. And once I stuck myself under my nail. Ouch. Also I have had the sewing machine needle do that twice. So scary!

11:05 AM  
Blogger laura capello said...

Those are lovely little clutches you made. Tomorrow is my son's last day at speech school, and I really should make his teacher something (I, however, have no clue how to do a zipper).

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the little bags! And it's such a great idea. I'm going to have to borrow that one for some teacher's gifts when Buddy graduates preschool at the end of the month.

12:21 PM  
Blogger Cristina said...

the little bags are adorable - lucky teacher you have there. fabric is very pleasing.

1:46 AM  
Blogger molly | mommycoddle.com said...

I LOVE those little bags! And as a former teacher, I can tell you that they will be VERY appreciated! What a great idea.

6:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

can i be just like you.....were in the heck do you get all of your darn energy. i am still trying to adjust to having two kiddos and i don't feel like i have any free time, and when i do get a moment i'm pooped. you have three kids and are doing all the kinds of things i would love to be doing....crafts!!! (i'm really not complaining or am i?)

5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have sewn through my finger nail and finger twice(!) on my sewing machine, one time with a denim needle, so I know how you feel! I have also stuck pins into my finger accidentally and burned the crap out of my hands with the iron more times than I can count. All in the name of sewing! That's why a klutz shouldn't try to sew, but oh well. I love those bags and am very inspired! I've had those same exact fabrics for months and have yet to use them. Your cute pictures are the kick in the pants that I needed!

8:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are so cute! I'm positive teachers like gift certificate to borders. :)

10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home