6.27.2005

mail and one big hole


so i managed to get two packages to the post office today. my backtack goodies are on their way to canada. can i say that? i guess so, she is going to find out soon enough anyway. so here is what i came up with.


a little zippered pouch filled with embroidering goodies, some leftover fabric, an owl days of the week tea towel ebroidery pattern, a vintage summery lounge coat pattern, a summer kinder egg (doesnt get as melty, how cool??) and a needle roll. it was my first attempt at a needle roll. harder than i thought it was going to be. here is a shot of the inside. im pretty pleased with it.


it looks very similar to the one i received, thanks mary for your inspiration! so on to the big hole. david got something very big accomplished this weekend. when we bought our house, on the side there was this awful raised concrete bed full of yucca and chicks and hens and all kinds of things that im not crazy about. sorry yucca but i hate you unless im in texas somewhere. anyway, being the respectable, new homeowners that we were, we made a half-assed attempt to dig out the plants, then let the thing get all overgrown for the next three years. nice, huh? so this last week, in some fit of restless energy david decides he is going to chop down all the weeds, dig out the bed, bust it all up with a sledge hammer and get the thing the freak out of there. he man-handles the weeds with no problem, and then starts digging... and digging, and digging. holy cow, what we though was a 18 inch raised bed turned out to be an old concrete gold fish pond filled in with huuuuuge rocks! you think im kidding? check it.



look at the size of those rocks, and how deep that piece of crap is!!! here is a shot of david in the thing for scale. notice the tired look on his face that says, "what have i started?"



he got the whole thing dug out tuesday night i think. i secretly thought it was just going to stay like that for another few months, but no! a second surge of restless energy was to be had on saturday. my dad showed up with his big truck and his big jack-hammer. yeah, there was no way a sledge hammer was going to do a thing to this baby. i wish i would have gotten some action shots of them busting the thing out, but it was really hot and surprisingly disturbing in a homoerotic way to watch two men use a jack-hammer. (im thinking village people-esque here). they managed to get the whole thing broken up, hauled out, and filled back in. see how much happier and cleaner david looks. way to go sweetie!


there is one last small pile of rocks to be hauled away, and then the plan is to plant some peony bushes along the side of the house and put down some grass seed on the rest. can you believe it!?? it looks a million time better. you rock david!


9 Comments:

Blogger kath red said...

great back tack package, love it.

12:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful needle roll and pouch! I'll have to try making a needle roll some day, they seem so wonderful. And your story about the raised bed-fish pond: oh my gosh! What a lot of work! It does look very nice in the end.

7:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your back tack!! The pouch and needle roll are beautiful.

And talk about the tip of the iceberg with the "raised concrete bed"! Way to go David!! I'm sure we would have just admitted defeat once we realized what it really was.

12:22 PM  
Blogger kristen said...

hannah -- well done on the back-tack stuff! i will most likely be calling you in the wee hours of the morning tomorrow night (yes, i haven't started yet) for damage control being that i haven't sewn in quite some time.

tell david he is a stud. yikes! what a chore. who puts a goldfish pond the size of a kiddie pool in their yard?

4:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

julie told me i had to come see these pictures. holy. crap. i think i would have just filled the thing with water and resurrected the fishpond. your "village people" comment conjured up an image of david running a jackhammer shirtless but with a humongous feathered headress. he's still wearing his glasses, of course.

i don't know what the hell a back tack is, but yours sure is nice. real nice, clark.

9:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your back tack stuff is so cool! But damn, I don't live in Canada--it's not mine! LOL!

6:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hannah - great back tack
david - great back

7:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love how they turned out! Looks great.

9:10 AM  
Blogger ria said...

It's Mine! So sorry Amanda!

My husband just phoned me to say that I had received a package from Kansas and he didn't know what it was all about. After he described the contents, I just knew it was back-tack related. Oh my, I have to say I couldn't wait to get home so I got on the back tack site and started snooping. I figured huffmania had to be your site!

It looks so wonderful! I'll post an update on my blog tomorrow after I get to feel all the little goodies with my hands instead of snooping over the net.

So, don't you think it's freaky? I mean did you see my needle roll that I made for my back-tack buddy? (http://riarug.blogspot.com/2005/06/back-tack-update.html) You and I were sent the same fabric, only mine was pink! Wow, talk about coincidences!

I all excited now. I can't wait to get home! Thank you, thank you , thank you!

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home