1.22.2009

impossible

film.117
smiling is good. chuckling is better, and well laughing out loud is just pretty much fantastic. i mean sure yeah, you could look at this picture and think, ok a dry cleaning place on rainbow street, rainbow cleaners. got it. OR, maybe, just maybe, it is a place that really does clean rainbows. because you know, with smog and global warming and all that, you would think that rainbows would get a little dingy, loose their luster. right? and well, if you're thinking about dingy rainbows, well then you're probably inclined to think that there are some men and women out there who have somehow acquired the skills necessary to clean rainbows. make them squeaky and bright. and maybe they set up shop somewhere, and you know, every now and then, someone wanders in with their dusty rainbow, crammed in a grocery bag, looking for help. i bet that's what dallas clayton would think. as a matter of fact, i'm 100% certain that's what he would think. and i am so glad he does, is thinking that way. i found his blog the other day through camilla, and i can't stop reading it. to me it's shel silverstein reborn. i already have so many favorites, i don't know what to pick. but i can't let you go without sharing a couple, just in case you don't click through. without further ado (and with dallas's gracious permission), please enjoy.

dallas_clayton_surprise

SURPRISING

A friend turned older today.
Many years older than me.
But maybe many years younger than you.
An age where people say things like
“who’s counting, anyways?”
and have stopped giving you
interesting presents
and instead give you gift certificates
for cheese
or take you out for a meal
at a restaurant you’ve already been to
and you don’t really mind.

To help offset this
I got him a remote controlled helicopter
that you can fly inside your house.

It was shaped like a dragonfly
and named something
that sounded like it was shaped like a dragonfly
with a font on the box
that looked like something
that sounded like it was shaped like a dragonfly.

You should have seen his face.

Elation.


dallas_clayton_questionaire

QUESTIONNAIRE

Have you already taken
the greatest photograph that you will ever take?
What does it look like?

Where do you keep it?

How do you know?

As an adult
have you run
top speed
naked through a field?

More than once?

Have you been inside every
room in your house today?

How about every closet?

How long since you’ve been in every closet?

Too long I bet.

There’s plenty to be learned in those closets.
Fields.
Wasted snapshots.

And you paid for them.

Get in there.

Root around.


dallas_clayton_aptitude

APTITUDE

Today after being asked the question
“Were there buildings when dinosaurs were here?”
I tried to explain evolution to a five year old.

It took thirty minutes.

And I still failed.

Why can’t he ask questions like
“If you were a pair of shoes, what color would you be?”
I know the answer to that.

Gold.


dallas_clayton_thanks

SPEECH

I’d like to thank my parents
for tending to me
in the years before I can remember my own shape.

Their time
is the best thing I’ve ever stolen
from two strangers
and gotten away with clean.

15 Comments:

Blogger Molly said...

Oh! I love. Thanks for making me feel very smiley this morning, Hannah and Dallas.

11:08 AM  
Blogger donna said...

have you ever read "story people", han? these made me think of those. i love them both.

www.storypeople.com

11:57 AM  
Blogger Jeannette StG said...

interesting concept: cleaning rainbows :)
Question: the poem ending in "elation" is tht yours? It's quite good!! have a happy rainbow day, jeannette

12:38 PM  
Blogger Katharine said...

Oooh, I love these! Both the poems and your photo - all rainbows should be shiny and bright. Thank you for making me smile today.

12:47 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

these are awesome. thanks for sharing the love.

12:58 PM  
Blogger claire said...

aw hannah, this just made my day. x

1:17 PM  
Blogger a said...

these are fantastic!

1:29 PM  
Blogger hannah said...

no jeannette, they are by dallas clayton, i'm just sharing them with his permission.

1:34 PM  
Blogger the letters i wish i'd written... said...

are rainbows machine washable and do you have to separate the colours? thanks for the dallas tip off, he's extraordinary!

2:12 PM  
Blogger famapa said...

what a prefect day to end a grey and miserable day in london. this post happened to be the one I chose to look at as my last treat before I switched the computer and what a great choice. rainbow cleaners eh? maybe that's why I'm feeling all washed out. I have to take my rainbow to the cleaners!

and thanks for posting dallas, (I'm really bad at clicking through on links), I can go to bed with a smile now :)

3:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hannah, i love this post. it made my morning. i'm sitting in bed, eating a pear, smiling. it gave some of that roald dahl-feeling. like from the minpins:
"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you, because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it."
and i think i will need that rainbow cleaners as a print. so that i can frame it and hang it in my livingroom. oh yes.

12:08 AM  
Blogger sulu-design said...

Awesome and thank you.

8:35 AM  
Blogger elisabetha said...

these are such gems. thank you so much for sharing!

3:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love these. Toby passed your email on to me, I blogged about them myself, then saw your post here! Good ones. Thanks for sharing.

9:10 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

Thank you, thank you for sharing Dallas's poetry, a welcome dose of inspiration. Your Rainbow Cleaners observation struck a chord for me, because the town I grew up in boasted a Penguin Cleaners! As a kid, I thought that was just wild, and would often imagine the scrub a dub dubbing of penguins that was surely taking place right around the corner. My family teases me about the Penguin Cleaners to this day.

3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home