4.04.2007

a word of caution

to myself of course. you are not as young as you think you are. let me phrase it more clearly, your body is not as young as you think it is. friends, i have a confession. i hurt myself crafting. not in the traditional sense, like jabbing myself with a needle or slicing my finger with a rotary blade (both of which i already have first hand experience with), but in a more humbling way. let me set the scene. two weeks ago, friday night, i had stuffed all three children into their box, uh i mean room, and was ready to work on the shirts for david. by the way, printing on the freezer paper was a breeze and such a time saver. so, there i was in the living room with my cutting mat and various sharp tools laid out. david was assigned the task of cutting out the numbers for the backs of the shirts (lots of straight lines) while i had before me six logos to cut. i sat down on the floor cross legged, and proceeded to hunch over the cutting mat and the first logo in front of me. can you see where this is going? david even asked me with a heavy dose of doubt in his voice, "you aren't going to sit at the table?". no i scoffed. it is easier this way, and besides the light is better over here. i am fine. i do this all the time. sha.

after about an hour of minute cuts that had me through oh, maybe four logos i decided to take a break. my brain sent the necessary signals to my back muscles to sit up, but nothing happened. slowly, ever so slowly my eyes widen in shock as i realized that i was stuck. my back was locked up. oh lord. i gritted my teeth and forced myself up, groaning like an 84 year old lady (no offense 84 year old ladies) only to find that my knees had locked up as well and i couldnt straighten those either. what the freak??? gritting my teeth some more, moaning some more, i forced my legs to uncross and managed by sheer stubbornness to hobble up from the ground and over to the couch. to sit and reel in disbelief at my condition. seriously, i felt like an 84 year old lady. after some guffaws and taunting, and i told you so's from david, and after a prescription strength 500mg naproxen sodium left over from post labor and delivery of collette (!!??) i felt a little better. at least good enough to finish the last two logos and hobble to bed to sleep it off. was it gone in the morning? no. was it gone the next day? sadly no. do i have a problem? yes. exercise and yoga needed stat. because people, i am only 30.83333 repeating years old. i shouldnt have these problems. i drink vitamin D whole milk, so i know my bones are good. but dang it if i havent done a lick of exercise in three years. crap. so yes, i will start treating my body more gingerly. and yes, i will drag my yoga mat out and get started. uh. once i stop walking around with my hand in the small of my back. jello on lettuce anyone?

Labels:

18 Comments:

Blogger shari said...

i hear you hannah. i'm 33 and i've been feeling every year these days. :) yoga is good though. wish we could practice together. xox

9:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

been there myself. hope you are better.

9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, honey- I'm laughing, but with you and only because the way you tell the story is funny. I hope your back has a speedy recovery and the yoga helps!

Maybe I'll meet you at Fuhr's Cafeteria (does that place still exist?) and after that we'll go walk the mall. ;)

9:45 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Oh dear. Well, if it makes you feel better, a few months ago I had to call my husband to come home from work because I put out my back... taking a nap. I couldn't lift my daughter out of her crib, it hurt so bad. At least you were doing something constructive. Little is more humiliating than explaining to the doctor that you hurt yourself sleeping.

9:52 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, you are officially in the 30+ club. =) Welcome. I notice if I sit in any funky position for too long my body has a difficult time recovering. Hope you feel better soon. =)

11:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was in the hospital twice BEFORE the age of 30 for back problems. and they continue. so my heart (and back) feel your pain. take care, hannah.

11:33 AM  
Blogger bugheart said...

i feel your pain
as i often sit
in the
"best light"
in the
"worst position"
and pay
for it for days!
hope you are
feeling
much better!

11:58 AM  
Blogger chief gordon said...

none of us are getting any younger.

the good news is, better light can be brought to the table at minimum risk of bodily harm.

12:12 PM  
Blogger Heidijayhawk said...

oh hannah! i feel your pain. when did we get too old to sit on the florr for hours at a time anyway?

12:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, have been there. Except, my limbs usually fall asleep before they get stuck. So I just get up and promptly trip when I try to walk. Very funny -- for anyone watching.

2:39 PM  
Blogger molly | mommycoddle.com said...

i've never done the back thing, but my sign of aging is how stiff i feel from just the drive to the grocery store or library, etc. pretty pathetic old lady, here, too!
hope you're feeling better soon. yoga sounds perfect. are you going to take a class? or do it on your own?

5:30 PM  
Blogger lisa solomon said...

oh hannah - be careful!

and i'll chime in on the i feel old too! [and i AM older than you!]

5:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup, welcome to the 30s babe!
I've been seeing a chiropractor for three months now because I couldnt lift my toddler out of his crib. Today I was lying on the floor playing with him and found I couldn't get up without first rolling onto my side and then heaving myself up! We're all in this together!

7:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you on this, and I hope you're feeling better soon. I'm certain that my last round of thrice-weekly visits with the physical therapist, for a whole month, was brought about by too much time at the sewing machine. Of course I told her it was the fault of the computer and too much hefting of the child. Can't admit to sewing causing problems!

7:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you on this, and I hope you're feeling better soon. I'm certain that my last round of thrice-weekly visits with the physical therapist, for a whole month, was brought about by too much time at the sewing machine. Of course I told her it was the fault of the computer and too much hefting of the child. Can't admit to sewing causing problems!

7:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry -- somebody should've warned you that this is what happens after 30. Now you'll always have just a little feeling of panic which hits you right before you're about to try to straighten your back. Use a chair, friend...always use a chair....

4:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is unacceptable. Fitness 2007 begins NOW.

8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The shirts look fan-tastic! And remember when I said I'd think twice about cutting a team's worth of stencils? This is pretty much why: my aching back. and neck. and legs.

1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home