6.03.2010

june is my best

151/365
that stephanie
152/365
if you know me, then you know i have a deep and abiding love for the month of june. it is the best one in my book. number one out of 12. right at the top of the list. for me, june 1st is the beginning of summer. it's nearly a holiday. for as long as i can remember june has been about dirty bare feet, lazing under a tree, reading books on rumpled sheets to the drone of the attic fan, splashing in the creek after craw daddies, sitting in the mulberry tree and eating until you nearly fall out, daring your brother to eat a whole handful of gooseberries at once, carefully (ever so carefully) picking raspberries right from the bush, designating whatever container you can find big enough to contain your whole body and some cool water a "pool" (for us it was a horse trough), weeding the garden early early in the morning before the mosquitoes wake up, riding bikes, riding the old snapper lawn mower and pretending you are 16, tomatoes, warm hazy nights, cicadas, fire flies, watermelon, sparklers, walnut brown arms and gangly legs. believe me, i could go on and on.

and to think that for my children june will be defined by sand in their shoes, sea water, piers, surfing, skate boards, salty damp towels. it makes the mind spin. but i am certain that i can encompass those things in my june too.

in honor of june, my sweet friend shanna and i have collaborated on a desktop calendar for you. because we want you to love june too. you can find it right over here! make sure you watch that video too, it's fantastic. and just you nevermind that we're already three days in...

9 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Oh boy, do I love june...and the 15th is our wedding anniversary to boot! summer is awesome.

3:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awww, I had a horse trough for a pool as a kid, too!

8:19 PM  
Blogger rosedale's 4head said...

i love june too - grasshoppers, wisteria and honeysuckle, very hot rains, summer papaya...

i wish we could love our gigantic mulberry tree - it's so fertile and attracts not only our dogs but the birds and the flies and is a stubborn sticky mess

i love june too because it is the month my mother and daughter were born

and i love june - too - because it's the month (for me) that re-begins something magical.

a lovely post...

8:51 PM  
Anonymous amy h said...

I'm sure you'll handle the transition to a new kind of June -- different but good. And think of how EASY the February transition will be! Thanks for the desktop -- lovely.

5:38 AM  
Blogger Marion said...

Gosh, these pictures are beautiful...

9:02 AM  
Blogger elianne said...

I do agree, june is the best.

12:07 PM  
Anonymous and flowers pick themselves said...

there's something so magical about this month. i love these photos :)

xo Alison

6:27 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Your Junes sound so wonderful! June in Seattle has been mostly rainy so far but I have hopes the sun will come out for the rest of the month. And I love the desktop background, thanks for sharing it with us!

10:04 PM  
Blogger Bárbara said...

June is the best for me too!!! have a lovely day!

12:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home