1.02.2007

bounty

bounty
my dad baked for christmas. 35 pounds of flour later and we were all amazed. sadly the lemon squares and cranberry oatmeal bars didnt make the picture. we had a wonderful, relaxed holiday. my time off at home was well spent with the kids, coffee and sudoku. i was also able to get reacquainted with my bed. i am not going to lie to you, there was a night were i was tucked in with the lights out by nine pm folks. and it felt good. really good. what didnt feel good? grating the crap out of my middle finger with my micro plane. ouch. i had to pick out a ribbon of skin and toss all the ginger i had just grated. so there you have it. a good start. my personal goal for 2007 is fitness both mental and physical. so far i have managed to tivo seven episodes of yoga to this end. now to actually dust off my mat. keep your fingers crossed (not grated).

but seriously. i spent a good part of last night pondering 2007 and i realized that it boils down to bounty. there is already so much in my life to be thankful for. i am rich in family and friends near and far. so this year i plan to spend more time appreciating what i have instead of worrying about what i dont have or cant control. any extra bounty that comes my way will make things that much sweeter. i want happiness and beauty to be a part of every day that i open my eyes to. i have realized that for me that means a mindset that i need to put on every morning, just like getting dressed. i will choose to be happy, i will choose to see beauty around me. i hope you do too.

Labels:

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wonderful words to start the year with, hannah. really. thank you.

and now I will leave with the image of a ribbon of your finger amongst the ginger. oh my. In my best three year old voice, 'YUCK!"

11:26 AM  
Blogger mariko said...

Happy is good! Burgeoning bounty is good! And does your dad need another daughter, because I would be happy to help eat some of those baked goods. Happy New Year!

11:31 AM  
Blogger pixiegenne said...

great sentiment!

12:38 PM  
Blogger donna said...

what channel is yoga on??

12:39 PM  
Blogger julieree said...

hear, hear!!

Me and microplanes don't get along too well either. This is also why I will never try using a mandoline. I value my digits a little too much.

Happy 2007 Hannah!

1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

um-hi, you know, if you need to mail any of that bounty, I could help you out-just sayin'

and happy 2007 to you. wonderful post and lovely thoughts.

1:07 PM  
Blogger bugheart said...

eeeee!
grated fingers!
yikes.

i need to dust off
my yoga matt...
i wish i had a yoga pal...
it's so much easier to
get yourself
to a yoga class
with a yoga buddy.
:)

1:17 PM  
Blogger molly | mommycoddle.com said...

beautiful new year wisdom.

(oh, and I'm getting first trimester nasuea flashbacks at the description of your grating experience. eww.)

2:04 PM  
Blogger leta joy said...

Oh, ouch. Sorry about your finger. Lovely thoughts on happiness, I couldn't agree more.

4:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the microplane and i don't get along well either. for that matter, neither do the mandoline and i. hope your finger is healing swiftly!

would love to know what channel you tivo yoga on...that i could do!

4:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your sentiment Hannah. And holy cow, 35 pounds of flour!? Amazing.

Happiest of Happiness to you in 2007!

4:56 PM  
Blogger lisa solomon said...

i wish we were neighbors and could force each other to dust off those matts together.....

love the thougths around bounty... really lovely!
happy new year!

5:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love this post. that's a good-looking mindset to put on every day.

i'm going to get you a porcelain ginger grater. no more blood.

8:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two questions about yoga. Is there a "special" version for the fitness challenged? Does it work out your powerhouse?

8:27 PM  
Blogger Sonya said...

Hi there - I have read your blog now for a few weeks, but I don't think I have posted a comment - spacey in my after-Christmas haze.

While your thoughts about bounty were amzing, all I can think about is the 35 lbs of flour and the 'ribbon of flesh' very vivid. Wishing you continued bounty and less flesh wounds!

10:10 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

My dear Hannah, I do believe you've plucked the thoughts right out of my head and written them up (beautifully, too!) in this post of yours. I've been realizing lately that I spend a lot of time dwelling on what I don't have, and I don't like it one bit. It's a hard habit to break, even if it makes me unhappy. This year, I want to focus on the bounty, because heaven knows there's plenty to be happy about.

Cheers to you, my friend, and to happiness and beauty in 2007. xo

10:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, those are words we can all live by! I will try to remember to put on my happy suit when I get up tomorrow. Hope your finger heals soon.

10:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have tried to post insanely witty and animated comments six or seven times.

so i'll just say this and hope it takes:

oh my carbs.

6:44 PM  
Blogger kristen said...

hannah, i've been thinking about this as well for 2007, although you said it much more beautifully than i could have. maybe our study is changing us more than we can even see right now. here's to a great year.

8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home