6.20.2006

words to pump by

i dont like to forget things. it really bothers me. especially the two things i forgot to put in my bag this morning. one, my flash drive with pictures of mail goodies to upload to flickr today. two, my book for pumping. book for pumping you say? please explain. ok. so i have to pump at work and it is the most boring 20 minutes of my life, so long long ago i started reading while i pumped. its either that or sit there and listen to the "uh huh, uh huh, uh huh" sound of the pump motor. yes, they have motors and yes it hurts and chafes and all around sucks. pun definitely intended. so i read. or at least i usually do. i have pumped for a total of 25 months and counting (the math breaks down to 11 for eliot, 10 for collette and on month 4 for arlo), and in that 25 months i have managed to read quite a few books. so far during the "arlo sessions" i have read:
persuasion
mansfield park
david copperfield
a farewell to arms
the sun also rises
the winter of our discontent
i am currently in the middle of the long valley, a collection of short stories by steinbeck. i should say that i am a voracious reader and really fast. so fast that it drives david crazy. i try to tell him that the more i love a book, the faster i read it. i cant wait to find out what happens, so i just fly. i also tend to read passages that really knock me out three or four times in a row. thats when i really love a book. he isnt buying it. looking back i feel like i went through themes. with eliot there was quite a bit of science fiction. lots of ray bradbury, i can read over and over again. i also got into the ender series by orson scott card. with collette there was tons of gabriel garcia marquez. love in the time of cholera? the words were dripping off the page they were so lush. one hundred years of solitude, no one writes to the colonel. so yeah, i will read just about anything, but i have to admit that i am a little out of practice with "new stuff". any and all suggestions, bring them on.

i felt like i had to post a gratuitous pic of arlo. happy four months baby girl!
ladybug

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I could go on and on about books, but I'll keep this brief. Recent stuff:

The Secret Life of Bees. I resisted it because I thought it too recent and popular. It's fabulous.

The Shadow of the Wind. To me, had a Marquez feel to it. A mystery without being, you know, mystery-ish.

Year of Wonders. Not as recent, but has stuck in my head as a really good read. Don't let the Plague subject matter frighten you off!

Ok I'll stop now, before this gets ridiculously long.

10:23 AM  
Blogger molly | mommycoddle.com said...

I was just sitting down to do a little book-y blog post...just finished The Glass Castle, and I have to pick up The Time Traveller's Wife for my book group...but my husband is desperately waiting for me read Hannah Coulter by wendell berry...
I can't believe you read david copperfield. that's a lot of milk!

10:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wendell berry comes very highly recommended from a good friend of mine. i still have never read any though.

i'm not sure what you mean by, 'he isn't buying it.' but i will admit we read differently. i like to read books in the same way i look at paintings: very very closely. the more i love something, the more time i devote to it.

12:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Arlo is such a cutie pie.

pipandtom.com

5:06 PM  
Blogger Leslie said...

You're funny, Hannah! Yes, a good read is mandatory stuff for when you're pumping away! :) I've been there. . . . and yes, it does suck!

As for books. . . hmmmm, recently finished The Time Traveler's Wife. Currently reading Vanished by Jodi Picoult. Good reads both. :)

Oh, and I have yet to tackle Live in the Time . . .well, b/c it's in Spanish. Not ready for that!

5:32 PM  
Blogger Leslie said...

P.S.
Happy Four Months, sweet Arlo! She's getting so big! Little sweetie!

5:32 PM  
Blogger laura capello said...

You can read while you pump? You can do something other than cry while you pump?

For me, pumping was a three ring circus, and it usually required my husbands assistance if I ::gasp!:: wanted to pump both sides at the same time.

I'm so very impressed.

6:57 PM  
Blogger kimberly said...

LOVE the ender books. not as much as persuasion though.

7:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't read much good new fiction lately either -- Everything is Illuminated does stand out, though even that is a few years old!

7:43 AM  
Blogger cat collier martinez said...

hiya h! i agree you're pretty funny, i'm not so sure about the pumping action, i'd be up for it when the time comes though. you i had the idea of a book trade/swap thingy and we sent each other books. your "reads" were fantastic! i read like a worm! here are my suggestions for what they're worth:)

donna tartt has two books: the secret history. which is sort of sad but so so so good. and the little friend. i just got finished reading me talk pretty one day by dave sedaris. so hilarious you've prolly already read it though.

and everything by richard brautigan especially in watermelon sugar and the abortion!!! so amazingly good. he is truly the last of the beats, even though jack is good this guy is for the female readers.

sorry post is long

7:51 AM  
Blogger clairehelene7 said...

I read exactly in the same way! I can't seem to stop myself from whizzing through something I love.

I read David Copperfield over this past Christmas and loved it. I'm halfway through a Dorothy Parker anthology right now and think I might start cracking wise in a New York accent.

Persuasion is one of my favorite Jane Austen books. I second Time Traveler's Wife, it's gorgeous.

8:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm, with your current Steinbeck streak (just started Winter of Our Discontent at your recommendation), you must have already read East of Eden. If not, do. It's amazing.

11:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes, but does your pump talk to you? mine always says "swisha sweets" :) I'm so impressed with your literary + milk action - I just watched crap t.v. or ate. Too much.

Anyway, a fellow kansas here (we're over in OP) and i just stumbled in here - good to know there are others of us in flyover country just blogging away! Enjoy reading your posts and love the photos -

estea

11:13 AM  
Blogger shannon said...

i am thankful i don't have to pump as often as you do, but when i do, i haven't mastered reading at the same time....probably because i am doing it at midnight (while at work), i'd fall asleep. you are an awesome multi tasker:)

9:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home